spring!

spring!

Wednesday 23 May 2012

This weekend we spent a lot of time outdoors.  The weather was fabulous and we worked most of the days outside laying the last of the  interlocking brick , gardening, opening the pool, and of course BBQ-ing.  One of those days we were sitting out eating dinner and a couple of ducks came to visit...wild ones..we usually do get a couple but when it's colder.  The female swam in the puddle of dirty water on top of the cover while the mallard strutted around the yard.  Of course MissT saw them and went into huntress mode.  While I joked about "duck confit".  Pictures don't do justice to the iridescent beauty of these birds...well the male anyway.  MissT tried a "rush and pounce", but she missed. 

The next day, I am busy cooking chicken on a rotisserie on the BBQ when I notice that MissT is acting a little strange by the edge of the pool.  I can hear a chipmunk "chipping". 
 So I went over, didn't see anything, but now the cat is on high alert!  Something is there!!
I lifted the cover a bit and she had a chipmunk trapped.  She grabbed it when I exposed it ...dropped it and it ran for the fence!...but she beat it.  For an old girl, she is still fast!.
At any rate, I'm dancing around swatting at her and yelling for her to drop it!  She finally does and DAMN!  I stepped on it!!  POOR LITTLE THING!...knocked it out!..did I break it's back?  It's bleeding from the nose or mouth...I picked it up and put it in the woodpile next door..I could hear it moaning and chipping softly..it finally moved away...hopefully it's not dead.
I keep telling MissT...if she keeps attacking her little friends, she won't have any entertainment and neither will we. 

P.S.
There were two chipmucks at the feeder today...had it recovered? or is it a different one?

1 comment: