spring!

spring!

Thursday 5 July 2012

When I worked cleaning up and folding my fabrics, I found I had far too many scraps.
I have been using up quite a bit for the " farmer's wife", but I find it's stymieing me.... I am blocked by all these scraps.  When I work on a block, I spend too much time looking for scraps big enough...or just pawing through them all.
I have collected these scraps over years, a friend gave me a box of scraps, and I got some from my mom.
When I got the box of scraps I made 6 cuddle quilts (tops) for outreach...and I still had a box full.  But now, it's a drawer and a box full!
....so I decided that they must go.....
BUT I CAN'T THROW IT OUT!  I am just too frugal or maybe just cheap.
I have to stop and make something easy, that would use up the scraps....get rid of them for good!
I thought I would do a spider web.  I made a little one for Thing Two's dolly.
I will make a full size one, well I mean queen size...
the pile half way through the project
So I started...
First I got out the tracing paper and cut the pages 9" square.
Then I measured 2.5 " from the 45 degree angle on both sides, marked it and found the centre on the bottum, drew 2 lines, stacked up the triangles and sewed without thread on the lines to make a pattern..
cut some white fabric for the background, and started sewing
one quarter of a block, untrimmed
and pressing and trimming 

1/4 trimmed
And I kept sewing and trimming and sewing....this what I have so far
half done!
I am half done the blocks!  and the box/drawer of scraps?  doesn't look like I made a dent in it, but I am sure I have...
Who knows....I might even run out !

More pics to follow as I complete and quilt it.

BUT...I haven't been in my sewing room  for  5 days now.  My sister has been here again for a visit.  It was supposed to be only a day or two, but ended up being 5 days...a bit of a surprise!
...

No comments:

Post a Comment