spring!

spring!

Wednesday 18 April 2012

excel thread
I get a newsletter from " about.com"  about sewing and quilting.  I am not sure how often it comes, but if there is anything interesting, I will read it.  Well, the other day, I got an article that was very interesting...about thread...linty --cheap--ruin your machine- thread .  There were pictures of all the brands of thread and you could see just how linty they are.  It told me about those cheapy '3 for a dollar' spools of thread . It also showed pictures of many brands of threads, and some are really bad. Cheap thread is made with shorter fibres, long staple fibres are used for more expensive thread.

   If you would like to read the article, here is the link.

coats cotton
I read it and thought "Do I have any of that cheap thread?"  So I checked my thread rack and good enough.. I had lots of really cheap, linty thread.  I didn't need the thread magnified to see all the loose fibres on it either,  I could see them easily!  Needless to say, I threw it all out.  I had some samples of thread from when the mister was a buyer for a company and they had a supplier of threads.  That thread was weak and full of lint. I had thread from my mother...I even had some of that 'exel" brand thread.                              I got rid of it, too.  Got rid of it all!  Anything that was linty is gone.  I suppose I could save it for crafting, but I'm not keeping it...all of it is OLD and full of lint.

cheap thread

I have lots of good quality thread to use,  I am going to make sure that I only buy high quality threads from now on.... long staple thread..

1 comment:

  1. Great post today Patti. I was so glad to not see my thread listed anywhere. It must be good.
    I'm borrowing this for the footnote on my blog tomorrow. Its great information that should be out there.

    ReplyDelete