spring!

spring!

Friday 20 January 2012

Well, I charged my phone and put it and my camera in my purse..went to guild and we had a fabulous speaker Sandy Simmelink.  I asked her if I could take pictures of her quilts and she kindly said yes.  So, I started to take a few pictures of her fabulous work.  She said that 2 of her quilts take her 2 years to finish and one took a year and a half.
This one took 2 years to finish..it commemorates her family.  There is a block for her father , in the second last row...a fiddle...he played for his daughters every night before bed....a wreath of flowers for her mother in the second row..Saturdays after chores , they would fill their house with flowers from the garden.. many of the blocks are beaded and three dimensional.                                                                                        
Here is a cathedral window quilt heavily embellished.
Then my camera battery died...some of the pictures I took are not there..
I got out my phone....not too proficient with it, but I did get a few more pics.
Here is another quilt that took Sandy 2 years to finish..also 3d.  The lady's sleeves on the top left block are lace...tatted lace if I remember properly.  Here is a close-up.

She had some other quilts that she spoke about ...that and her technique for free motion quilting.  I took pics, but they aren't on the camera..
I am changing that thing as we speak.  Funny, I took this camera because I wasn't sure how strong the batteries in my other camera were....
A great night, I wish it could have been more.

1 comment: