spring!

spring!

Monday 10 October 2011

Today is Thanksgiving here in Canada.  We celebrate our harvest..so today is a day of families coming together to celebrate and EAT!
For us it means the kids and grandkids come for turkey and all the trimmings...trimmings being a turkey with bread stuffing, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, broccoli AND cauliflower with cheese sauce, gravy and cranberry sauce....and blueberry pie for dessert and those blueberries are from northern Ontario....so it is a big production..all that food..I start a couple of days before..cooking what I can before, so that I am not in the kitchen the whole time...Huh...I even use canned gravy to add to the pan drippings so  that I am not tied to the stove.  Everything else is scratch..that means I make it myself.
BUT...I don't do the HUGE turkey thing...I try to buy a small one so that I don't have a month of leftovers.  Don't get me wrong....I love leftovers..the tastes have all mellowed and melded..no need to cook for a couple of days, yet you have delicious meals..and then soup...yummmy.
But we did all this yesterday...
So today will be left over turkey IF there is any!


girls and all the quilts for Slavelake

But then I was going to tell you about the grand daughters and their quilts  and how does this tie in??
Last spring Alberta has some terrible wildfires...Slave Lake was hit hard and many families lost their homes.  Lynn stood up at quilt guild and asked that we donate quilts to the local quilt shop in SlaveLake that had decided that every one who lost a home would receive a quilt and needed donations.. I must say that the guild rose to the challenge and sent numerous quilts to SlaveLake, as have many guilds both in Canada and the USA.
I was telling my husband and daughter about this and the grand daughters decided they needed to send their quilts to Slave Lake along with a teddy .
Donna , Courtney & Hayley
They were very thankful for what they had and wished to express this...  So, they did...hoping that girls their age would get them...which did happen..in fact, one girl has the same name.  Hayley and Courtney gave quilts and teddies to 2 sisters, Hailey and Cameron...huh!!    This summer one of the ladies that lost her home came to this area to visit her sister...we arranged to meet...she is the principal of the school in Slave Lake that the girls go to....so ..well there has been a lot of stuff about it...if you REALLY want to read about it...(TISSUE ALERT!!!!) here are some links.
http://www.insidehalton.com/community/life/article/1033585
http://lakesideleader.com/110706/week27.pdf   page38...this is a long, long download.
http://lakesideleader.com/2011/110727/week30.pdf

Hayley and Courtney (my Grands) received a Thank You card from each girl this September......
These girls have learned so much this year about giving of themselves...helping those in need and how just one small thing that may not matter much, could mine the world to someone else.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know the kids were off on Friday. I could have had a grand or two visit with me and make coasters.

    ReplyDelete