spring!

spring!

Friday 9 September 2011

Quilters use a lot of different stuff ...sometimes they are made for quilting , sometimes not.   Rotary cutters were not developed for quilting..we adapted them.   I have many things in my sewing room that came from my hubby's tool chest. I have hammers, screw drivers ( we all need those for our machine) pliers..just to name some common ones.

Notions that I use, I will share with you..any tips that I have, I will also share.  I am not promoting the notions that I am using ....I just have them and find them useful.  I have to remember I have them and find them and use them.
 If I have a tip from someone else, I will give that person credit for it.  Sometimes (often) I won't remember who gave me the tip or where I saw it. 
Here is a ruler than I find helpful.  It's called 'Add A Quarter'. It comes in 6 or 12 inch
After you sew the seam, use it to trim the extra fabric .  Fold back the paper and the fabric, snug the ruler up to the fold and trim off the fabric...your 1/4" seam allowance is added.  There is a tiny lip on it that keeps the ruler in place. A regular ruler would work  too, because on some of the smaller pieces the seam allowance needs to be smaller than 1/4 ". 

sew seam and press
  
                                                              
trim the seam allowance
I have so many rulers...6 inch, 12 inch, 18, 24inch, rectangles and square.
no I didn't buy them all...some came from my mother.  I have a six  inche square up ruler that I should find very useful on this quilt.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment