spring!

spring!

Wednesday 14 September 2011

birds in the air


one quarter block

complete block
Birds in the Air..this is a difficult one.  The triangles are small..and there are lots of them....but paperpiecing helps.  I've used a dark blue and this printed beige fabric for the background..I've used this background often.
I saw this block made up as a large quilt at guild the other day and it was stunning.  I thought I heard the owner say that she took a month to make it, but someone else heard a year...her quilt was made with all the blocks a different colour.  She didn't say whether not she paper peiced her 12 inch blocks..I really should have taken a pic and posted her quilt, but hindsight is 20/20.
In a larger block this would be easy to do without paper piecing, being that it is all half square triangles.  Amazing how difficult it looks when it really isn't.  It's dealling with the really small triangles that makes paper piecing the way to go on a 6 inch block.

No comments:

Post a Comment