spring!

spring!

Tuesday 27 September 2011

Last week we had quilt guild, and for our program we had a book dealer..Grantham Books, visit us.  It was quite the evening, with everyone catching up on everyone else's summer and browsing all the books. 
It sure was a fun evening and I bought 6 books. 
One of them is "The Expert's Guide To Foundation Piecing".  I had to buy it, after all, I am paper piecing one hundred and eleven blocks for the "Farmers Wife Quilt".  I hope that maybe after all of them it will be second nature for me. 



 





I took a workshop many years ago with  Shirley Stutz.
 We used freezer paper and sewed in such a way that you didn't have to remove the paper when you are done. 
I think that this book might cover that.
 This is the block that we made..
It was a one day workshop, but we had homework to complete first before we could work on the block.   The block was worked in 6 triangles, that came together quite nicely.

1/6  of block

 I also remember that it was Thanksgiving  and hot, really hot.  We were in a church with no air conditioning...just one lonely overworked fan.  Twenty or so sewing machines and at lest 5 irons going, and 21 menopausal women.   It was HOT..but I came home to a lovely Thanksgiving dinner cooked by my son and hubby.  I can't remember if I finished the block there or at home. 

So, now I am reading the book, working on the blocks, maybe learning some new techniques.  I am not going to share what is in the book,  if you want to know the different techniques, you will have to order the book.
One thing I did learn, the method I am using has a name..under pressed piecing..huh..did not know that..but that is why I bought the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment