spring!

spring!

Wednesday 2 November 2011

cold toes

covers the AC unit in winter
My sewing room is quite cool, my toes are getting cold..I sew upstairs in a spare room that is heated by electric baseboard heater and cooled by a small AC window unit so, it isn't very warm.  I keep the AC unit covered in winter with bubblewrap and window wrap and then cover it all with a quilt to keep out the cold.  I usually find all the lights and iron warm up the room enough, but when my toes get cold my feet will hurt, so I heat up my micro wave heating bag...you know, those bags filled with wheat berries or rice.  I warm that up and keep it near my feet so that I can warm up my toes when they get cold.  Or my shoulders if they are tense.  I try not to sit too long at the machine,  to get up to cut and press.

 I  find I am using different fabric for every block in Famer's Wife Sampler, so I am constantly having to clean up my mess.  I have my vacumn cleaner nearby to suck up all the little trimmings..there are lots of those.  I keep a clothes brush handy to wipe off the cutting board....all those little fabric crumbs sometimes end up on the floor.
Years ago I started cutting up my scraps into squares...I am using a lot of them now..
HAVE to remember to turn OFF my little iron.  It doesn't have a automatic shut off.  I don't really worry about my big iron, I have it plugged into a switched extension cord, then plug that into another switched surge protected extension cord the same one my radio is plugged into. I use that to turn on the radio.  So, I know that if the radio is on the iron could be too. To turn them both off I just turn off the extension cord.  I think I am going to run another extension from that,  just for the mini iron.. I left it on all night one night...I was lucky I didn't set the curtains on fire.  See that little scorch?   It took seconds to scorch that fabric.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that most makers of irons do not recommend you using extension cords when using them? I know not why, I just read that somewhere, sometime ago.
    I just read your profile, you haven't been married as looooooooooooooong as I have. LOL

    ReplyDelete