spring!

spring!

Friday 23 March 2012

I have finally finished appliqueing my wall hanging.  I was going to put it in the quilt show, but I really don't think I will be finished.  I now have to layer and quilt it, but first I have to soak it to remove the stabiliser.  I usually use a freezer paper method for applique, but then you have to remove the paper, which can be a huge pain....and sometimes you have to cut away the back of the quilt top to take out the paper.  I really don't like doing that, even though I used to do it.
I found a website that has a method that uses wash away stabiliser and WASHABLE school glue.  So, I tried it on this project.
http//www.generation-quilt-patterns.com/how-to-applique.html
It was easier to stack up the shapes to machine applique  them together, then place them on the quilt top, and machine applique them in place.  Wash away stabilizer has been around for a long time...embroiderers and cross stitchers have used this sort of product for many years.
I had heard other people complaining of really sticky fingers doing this method, but I also heard a hint about keeping a damp wash cloth at hand to wipe your fingers.  I kept mine in a reused  plastic icing container with a lid.  But I found with this method, you dry the glue with the iron, so I didn't really get sticky.
The applique pieces also became quite firm...easier to handle that way. I found it easier to place my pieces to sew them.
 So very soon I will start quilting it
I ordered some thread on-line to machine quilt it and of course, it is the wrong colour.  I also ordered a thread chart so that I can see the true colours of the threads.  I need some more thread....lol

No comments:

Post a Comment