spring!

spring!

Friday 16 December 2011

Crap...I just can't win...
I was doing laundry last night and my washing machine just quit...yes, at night, even though I am here all day...hydro rates are cheaper at night..I went to the machine when it should have been done and no...it went through  most of the cycle but it's off and won't turn on and there is a tub full of water in the machine.  I tried moving the dial,  changing the program..switching the plug.  nothing worked.
This machine is....6 years old maybe...still pretty new in my books..my machines have lasted as long as 20 years.  This is my third washer in 40 years..no scratch that..I had a little spinner washer  for a couple of years and before that a (GASP!) wringer/washer that I bought used..I had those in the first 5 years of marriage...used the wringer when we rented in a house and the spinner in the apartment. Landlords don't like you having your own washer..they want the money from their washers..
I digress...
Anyway, I started thinking about a new one... do I want a front loader?..it would be easier to reach into for me...I like the idea of less water..less soap..less impact on the environment..don't like how expensive they are...don't like the idea of having to shop around...
Next day, I called FAST EDDIE....they are fast and I've used them for years...
He said it would take a while to figure out the problem...he took it apartt and checked the timer...no juice....no juice anywhere ...can it be plugged into a different circuit? 
Darn...it was the outlet..it was a GFI outlet and it malfuctioned ...green light said it was good and it was not....I paid the repair man after he put my machine back together and called my friendly retired electrician...next day out he came and in less that a blink it's all fixed...Thank You Ron!
Sooooo, no shopping,  no new machine..THANK GOODNESS!

3 comments:

  1. Thought I would let you know in case the machines dies within the next 14 years, that they front load washers are not all they are cracked up to be. According to Pat Foran of CFTO they are prone to mildew around the door as it never gets the time it needs to dry out properly. FYI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember how wringer washer and put rubber diapers through that wringer diapers and explodes, and garments sometimes get stuck going around and around and around those wringers. I remember having to disassemble the whole wringer head to get something untangled. and I ruined a couple of shirts
    Did you ever get anything caught in a wringer?or ruined a couple of shirts? Thanks for the reminders .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I ruined a few things with the wringer...some things would get wrapped around it and tear. But you couldn't beat it for clothes being clean!
    Now, the spinner washer I had...holy crap..that could shred things beyond repair. If anything had a hole it was shredded. And that machine cleaned really well too. That's back when laundry took a day or more!

    ReplyDelete