spring!

spring!

Monday 1 April 2013

Happy April Fools.....

and Easter Monday

I went to the workshop.
And, I had a lot of fun...
Yes, yes I did.
 And I learnt some stuff too.....
and I shared some ideas that others thought were great.
I had all my fabric cut, well a good deal of it cut.
I brought some more in case I ran out or wanted to cut some more.

I listened while the others were shown how to cut many layers of fabric.
One lady asked how did we cut before? 
SCISSORS!
 cardboard and paper templates!

There are rules now on how to cut fabric (Yeah! Rules!!!)

I learnt by the seat of my pants, friends and TV programs...there were no rules when rotary cutters first came out!
I used cut with the fabric  using the lines on my board.
I found out .... THOSE LINES AREN'T CORRECT.....and it took me a long time to figure that out!
Amazingly, one large queen, (Road to St Louis) that I made for my son was only out 1/4 inch!
BUT!.....
The correct way is much better! I relearned with friends, TV programs and books.   There are actually books published on how to rotary cut.
Our guild libraries carry them.
  
So I was able to jump right in and sew....
which I did....
and someone pressed for me...
and I kept on sewing...and sewing
with a foot I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE!

BIG,

  big mistake!

and not being able to see very well..................................
my seam allowance was 3/8" instead of 1/4"...

crap.

I thought......
okay...
if I stay at the same seam allowance all through the block I will be okay.

Uh..

NO!

I kept on...
My block was smaller.............
needed even less than 1/4 inch to 1/8" JUST to keep my points.
And as I work further into finishing I will have to adjust the last rows and borders in size....

okay...okay...what to do? what to do?

I actually made up 4....yes, yes... only 4 blocks.  4 tiny little  4 inch blocks...
 I had slowed right down...
Why?
I am going to redo my work and do it right with 1/4 inch s/a .....
I don't know if I will repurpose the stuff I have sewn already or take it apart....
BUT,
and I have another part to that workshop!
I am going back with my work (hopefully) perfect! and ready to continue!
I now how the number of blocks I need half done....gotta get sewing to have them completed for the middle of April.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment