spring!

spring!

Monday 15 April 2013

I was sitting in the family room with the grand daughters.  They were watching TV and I was browsing the net and I came across some videos for a quilt show in Grand Rapids MI.
The show was called "Stitch Like an Egyptian"...the video is from last year and it looks like the shows have been  in the UK, and a few in the states.
The American Quilters Society is having a show of The Tent makers Of Cairo later this month (April) in Puducah.
I was amazed at the quilts they  featured. 
The exquisite work,
The detail in these quilts.  AMAZING! and they are made in a few months!
They are made by men called tent makers, because this beautiful work was hung on the inside walls of tents.  When the sun shone through the fabric, it was like stained glass.
They do this the same way they have for centuries.
They are made of a layer of canvas, topped with the backing, then appliqued on top of that.  Everything is needle turned!

I made a smilebox of pics I found on the net.

http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a59794d7a49324e54593d0d0a&blogview=true

Click on the link...let the smilebox load ...(DON'T click on the thing that says PDF download...that's an advert..)
You can also see videos on YOUTUBE.  Just put Tentmakers of Cairo in the youtube search bar.  You can also see more pics on Pinterest, just do the same...Tentmakers of Cairo in the search bar, and a Facebook page!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Patti. Hope you like the work of the Tentmakers of Cairo. Are you in the states? Cause there is a show in Paducah, Kentucky this month. Or if your in the UK Hany Abd EL Kader will be in at the British Quilt and Stitching Village in Uttoexeter this month as well. For more information about the men and the documentary we are producing about them and their work take a look at www.tentmakersofcairo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim
      I am in Southern Ontario, so no I won't be able to attend the Paducah Show. I did search all over the web when I stumbled across these quilts on youtube, spent hours looking at videos and reading up about them. I would attend a quilt show if it came here to Canada!
      Patti

      Delete