spring!

spring!

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Yes, I have done some quilting....
I have been participating in our guild challenge.
I finally decided what I wanted to do, then I waited a bit before I chose fabrics, mulling it over, sleeping on it.  I had the fabrics that I had to use for the challenge.
I decided on a table runner.  A friend was saying she didn't really want another wall hanging , and when I said table runner, she thought table topper!
I settled on a braided table runner.
I was thinking and thinking how I was going  to make this.  I don't have a pattern, so it's all off the top of my head.
I laid my batting out on my cutting table and decided to start with a 12 inch square, cut a few 2 1/2 " strips and started figuring out where to place colours and how I would construct it.
It hit me that I could do this "quilt as you go" by sewing and flipping.
I marked my batting with a centre line, width and length.
Placed the square in the centre ...but before I sewed I thought about the backing.
Hmmm...I could actually do BOTH sides sew and flip and have a REVERSABLE table runner!
So...you know what I did! Sew and flip two side at once!  I have fall on one side and winter on the other.
I started by centring the 12" block in the centre, I used quilt spray to hold the square in place, then sewed a 1/4" seam around  to hold it in place.  Then flipped it over and centered the second 12" square exactly over the square on the front using the sewing lines from the front.
Then sewed my 2 1/2" strips in place both side at once.
 I still want to make a couple of placemats to go with the table runner.
So this is the "right side" of my table runner.  I sewed so far then trimmed down my batting to the size I wanted.  It was becoming a little cumbersome.
And this is the other "right side
 
I am not finished yet, still working on one border and I have another border to do after that.                                                                                                                                  
 I still want to make a couple of placemats to go with the table runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment