spring!

spring!

Friday 24 May 2013

Last September I said I would participate in a fabric post card exchange.
I was constantly ( well, often) thinking about what I would do.
I looked on-line for inspiration, searched Pinterest, took out library books.
I have to have this done by June 6th to hand out at the June Guild meeting.
But at least I have started.  There are a couple of groups doing this, and I know some of them have finished and given out their ATC's  already, although.... I haven't received any yet.
At first when I started thinking of what I could do, I thought of stamping and painting the fabric.
Then I thought, hmmm, painting and using some rubbing plates that I have.
I thought about raw edge applique.
I read a book about using dyed fabrics and accenting the blotches to look like flowers.
That, is an idea I like.  I have some hand dyed fabric.
So I took a 12" square and layered it with batting and started drawing with a white pencil on it.
Then I went to the machine and put black thread on it.
Hmmmm...no!
Took off the black and put a multicolour "blending" thread on it and started quilting flowers.  I wasn't doing what I drew at all...and that thread kept breaking.
I used some thread conditioner...still broke.
I put purple sewing thread on and started stitching again.
Scribbled flowers and meandering lines.
Then I cut it apart.
I got out some butterfly fabric (2 colour ways) and fussy cut some butterflies, fused them together so they can be dimensional. 
I then went back to the machine to find a suitable stitch to sew the body to the  card.
Before I sewed, I thought ....I need some flowers to fussy cut.
So, that is where I am now...pulling fabrics to fussy cut flowers.
I should have this done in time...I certainly hope so! lol!





Butterflies will be 3D, I will fuse applique the flowers,


This is our last meeting of the year and it is always a busy one.
We will have the results of the quilt show we had in April, our annual potluck dinner, the ATC exchange, BOM winners will be drawn for the year.
 Library will be busy, we are allowing 5 books to go out for the summer (fewer books to inventory).
It's always a great social meeting, we start earlier, everyone tries to make it out for this meeting, it's usually a great time...

No comments:

Post a Comment