spring!

spring!

Friday 26 October 2012

Dreamcatcher
The night of the beautiful rainbow was guild night.  The rainbow was just a hint what was to come of the night.
We had a speaker come in from New York.   RaNA Merrill.   She is speaking at a few guilds in the area, getting a good tour of Southern Ontario .
RaNae Merrill has developed a method for making some very stunning quilts.  She calls them Mandalas quilts
The method is log cabin.... a twisted log cabin.  And they are paperpieced.  Very BEAUTIFUL quilts! 
She showed us many of the quilts she designed.

Spirals synergy

 
I didn't take pics because I find the ladies holding the quilts don't stand still and put them down too quickly.
BUT......here are a few pics that I gleaned off the net for you....
She had labels sewn on the front of all her quilts....ugly labels...just to satisfy the border.  The labels stated the the quilt were samples and not for sale....good thing they didn't make her write on her quilts with a magic marker, like I have heard another speaker  had done by a borderguard, or a huge "X" across the front of her samples, like another had done.  Apparently, she was told by other speakers to do this and leave room on this label for a stamp, just in case they wanted to stamp them.    These labels are removable...a good thing, 'cause like I said they were ugly and distracting.
She had her 2 books with her for sale.  And she ran out of her latest book.   She had her favourite papers  used for paperpiecing  for sale and "Add-a-quarter" and "Add-an-Eighth" rulers and a wooden seam roller.  She didn't have more of the seamroller, so I ordered one.
Neat little gadget, doesn't stretch the seams as you "iron" it.
RaNae also has a blog where you can see what she is up to, but I noticed it wasn't up to date.
http://spiromandalas.wordpress.com/
and a website
http://www.ranaemerrillquilts.com/home

EasterMandala
Easter Mandala is my favourite ....

I took her first book of the guild library last year..before I knew she was coming to our guild....she has a disc in both her books with the patterns.  I copied the disc (patterns) to my computer in hopes that I WILL try out this technique.  LOL...so much to do and so little time!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment