spring!

spring!

Monday 18 March 2013

I was sewing merrily away the other day, using the method by Karin Hellaby.
I am trying to use up scraps, trying to reduce the amount of "stuff" in my sewing room...that way there is less to move (HAHAHAHA!) (so I think!).
I have the first round of  a bunch of blocks done, and I am ready to press.  I gave them a light spritz and let them sit a moment.
Well!  Some of the blocks are red! with white centres...so I am absolutely SURE you KNOW what happened......
Yup!   the red ran....I ran downstair and got a colour catcher from the laundry room.
Filled the bathroom  sink with  HOT water and soaked those little boogers until the water was cold.....and yes, that red dye RAN!  I kept rinsing in hot water until the water ran clear.
Then I went back to the sewing room, pulled some red fabrics and did the same for them.   I watched as I put them in the hot water, one  piece at a time.  Not all of them ran, just a couple...but that was enough!
That one dye magnet sheet is now bright red! I use them again and again, not just once..
I don't always wash my fabrics as they come home.....I have many small pieces...fat quarters, layer cakes and strips, I don't wash them, or soak them...just the large pieces.
But as we all know RED is notorious for bleeding.  Green can run, so can blue.  I like the jewel tones, there is probably more "free" dyes on those fabrics.  I have one green fabric that crocks (rubs off). 
I can't understand why we can no longer buy the dye magnets in Ontario any more.
I used to buy them here, when I could.
Then I had my sister, who lived in the states, buy me some.  She's back here now, so there goes my supply.
I HAVE heard of a nearby quilt store that repackages and sells a couple of them for a lot of money...
I also talked to someone at the  Johnson "SHOUT"  customer hotline and she said (confirmed) that they don't sell them in Canada anymore...not since 2010.
Well, I haven't been able to find them here for much longer than that!
I suggested that the sales people take them to quilt store to sell.
Or maybe, it's our bi-lingual packaging laws that are the holdback.....I have heard of other products that were discontinued due to labeling....

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can answer that one Patti. Apparently there wasn't a demand for the sheets here. I wrote to the company and perhaps if enough of us complain, they will become available. I'm thinking I might be a case of them and sell them to people who want them. I know a lot of quilters who would love to have them. I use mine very carefully.

    ReplyDelete