spring!

spring!

Friday 10 January 2014


I have been sewing, actually repairing, mending and retying  quilts for my son.    He was the recipient of one of the first quilts I made.  I've made him 2 large quilts and both needed repair.
I think he is  very hard on his quilts.
He has a tumbling block quilt;  I tied that one.
It was a challenge for me...all those "Y" seams.  Not a lot of fun.
At least I used large blocks....lol!
It had a puffy polyester batt in it. 
Oh Gosh!  Why do we always want our first quilt to be puffy?
Sooooo, Kevin brought home the tumbling block quilt, saying it needed repair.
He had pulled out almost all the ties, and it was dirty.
First thing I did, was wash it.  Then I had to think about how I would re tie.
I thought, and I thought....for a couple of years...(he got a new quilt in the meantime).. then I took it out and worked on it a bit.
Straightened out the batting...I started doing a bartack to tie the quilt.
Didn't like that much and put it away....for a few more years.
He asked me about it this Christmas....
It was the push I needed, I guess.
Out it came again and  I washed it again. 
Then I seriously got down to getting it re tied.
BUT...instead of a bartack, I thought I would use eyelet buttonholes.
I put a whole lot more ties on the quilt.
And it didn't turn out too bad.
I was going to show a picture but for some reason, I can't upload it. 
I am working on trying to find out why I can't upload.  If I fix it, I will post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment