spring!

spring!

Monday 5 November 2012

I have been reading blogs and pinterest and watching videos.
I have been interested in some paper crafts for a long time, along with my sewing and quilting ....so of course the Internet is a great resource for all of our craft interests.  Everything that you could imagine is on pinterest...everything!
I have an eclectic assemblage of crafting materials.   Fabric, threads,  buttons,  ribbons, beads, fabric dye, fabric inks,  alcohol inks, paper, embossing powders, stamps, fabric markers, crayons, pastels, markers, paint sticks.   Crap!  You name it, I might have some. 
  Mind you some of the stuff I collected for the granddaughters to craft with. 
We've played with fabric markers, dye, fabric inks and alcohol inks. 
I read on-line that you can make your own alcohol ink using dye (I have some powered dyes, but they are old, really old....15 years old), or markers.
I thought that I would give it a try....
I took apart a dry blue marker and soaked the nib and guts ( very scientific name) in a small jar of alcohol for about 24 hours.
I put about 1/4 teaspoon  of dye in each of 2 small squirt bottles, one purple and one  jade green added some alcohol and shook it up.
Next day I checked my "experiment"  .....half of the alcohol in the jar had evaporated.
The colour was a deep blue with a halo of brown.
The dyes didn't dissovle at all.  The jade green was a yucky olive colour , the purple was a dull grayish purple.
But will it work?
I'll find out.......



No comments:

Post a Comment