spring!

spring!

Thursday 8 November 2012

unrinsed fabric with dyes mixed with water
So, today I "finish" with my little experiment.
I got dressed in black....all black.  And found my rubber gloves.
I've played with dye before and black is the colour to wear...lol
I decided to use different papers and some fabric.
I covered my laundry room table in plastic and newspaper first, then
high gloss photo paper
I took two pieces of PFD fabric and one sheet of white card stock, one sheet of  drawing paper, two pieces of watercolour paper, two pieces of prefolded notecard , two pieces of satin finish photo paper and two pieces of glossy photo paper.
I dampened the fabric, soaked one in ph-up.
I laid all but the photo paper on the newspapers.
I started with the (marker) alcohol ink.   Unimpressive....
satin finish photo paper
I sprinkled some of the jade green on the paper and fabrics....unimpressive also...the colour was yucky and the liquid was granular.   I tried the purple, it was grayish and grainy.

WELL OF COURSE IT WAS!!!!

The dye NEEDS water to dissolve!
I added hot water to the bottles of dye and alcohol....the colours bloomed in the bottle..a difference of night and day!.
I added a lot more dyes to the fabric and paper.
I didn't want too much or the colour would be mud.
I took my spray bottle and spritzed all the paper and fabric.....the colour changed immediately into the hue they are supposed to be.

fabric washed out almost completely
Now I wasn't expecting miracles...after all my dye are really old and probably "burnt out" (no good).
watercolour paper
I kept soaking the papers and fabric, trying to make sure all the dye I first put on was dissolved.  Any undissolved surface crystals of dye is a disaster waiting to happen...
I took out the photo paper and tried the dyes on that.
The paper curled and the dyes moved into the lowest areas.
dampened card
As I played, I noticed that the one fabric sheet that I had soaked in ph-up was really light coloured.  The dye was moving through the fabric and was now just on the newspapers.

I decided to rinse the fabric after about an hour and unfortunately, most of the dye washed out.  And so did the alcohol ink from the marker....so that's a bust
card stock (left half dampened)
The best looking was the watercolour paper. 
I took the fabric and paper and hung them all to dry.  The next day I went back to them.
Some paper is curled, so I will need to flatten it and
I think that the papers could use a spritz of gold or silver...something shiny! lol
This is definitely not something I will try  again....I might try the dye on just paper...


I just hope that I wiped up all the dye powder when I cleaned up and don't find it on my clean laundry...lol
drawingpaper (right half dampened)

No comments:

Post a Comment