spring!

spring!

Wednesday 9 October 2013

We've had "Culture Days" in the last weekend.
Both guilds that I belong to were asked to participate.
I volunteered to demonstrate machine quilting.
I took one of our Out Reach cuddle quilts with me to quilt at the cultural centre.
Boy, it doesn't take long for me to remember WHY I don't like sewing or quilting away from home.
The table that I work on at home is low, very low.  My chair is set so that I can reach the machine comfortably.  My foot control is raised at least 2 inches off the ground.   Even then, I sometimes find myself over stretching.
When I was quilting at the culture centre I was really uncomfortable and my quilting showed it.  The table with my machine on top of it was far too high for me.  I brought my own chair, that helped a bit but I could barely reach my foot peddle. I raised it, but I had to chase it around. 
I muddled on....
Some little kids came into the room with their parents, they watched for a few seconds, then I asked them if they wanted to try sewing.   I ran the foot control and let the kids guide the quilt in the machine.
It was a BIG hit!   Even the boys tried the machine...What fun!
I  finished quilting and binding that quilt at home and started on the third quilt I took home last summer to quilt.
This third quilt has the older type batt in it.  You know fluffy poly type thing that was the only thing we could get more than twenty years ago.
I now realize how lucky we are now to be able to find the better quilt batts available now.  This one is real crap.  I actually hate to use it.
But, I guess I will just muddle on with this one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment