spring!

spring!

Saturday 20 July 2013

We are in the midst of a hot wave.  (if you didn't know)
The meteorologists have been telling us all spring that we would have a hot dry summer.
I didn't believe it, since we were having a very long, cold cool, wet spring.
But! Due to this heat, I have some tomatoes ready to eat already!
Yummy!!!!
I have been finding in the last few years that my yard is becoming more shady.
I planted blackberries in one spot that used to be full sun....not anymore.
One neighbour has a large maple tree that is now shading that area a good deal of the time, and it's taking a long time for the berries to ripen.
I am NOT going to complain, or will I cut any of it back!  I love having trees around.
In my opinion, there can never be too many trees ....they cool the air, clean the air, look nice (usually)...I can buy berries, I can't buy shade!
I used to grow more than I do now. 
I used to grow carrots, onions, tomatoes, green peepers and zucchini.
I've tried growing broccoli, cauliflower, peas and beans, all with  some success.
Nothing like the taste of fresh just picked fruit and veggies.
A friend still has a large garden, and will sometimes send some stuff my way.
But now,  I only grow tomatoes and green peppers.
This year, I tried something that I read on Pinterest......I put some Epsom salts into the Miracle Grow that I used on the tomatoes.  I also buried some crushed egg shells under each plant.
And are they ever growing FAST!
I used some of that solution on the pepper plants...they have fruit, but aren't growing large like the tomatoes.
My son container gardens, on his second story deck...with great success!
I wonder how high you can garden in a city?
Can the bees find your garden.....say ...10 stories up?  You need bees or other bugs for pollination...
Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment